Summarize Written Text
What is the task?
You will have to read a passage displayed on the screen/page. Your task is to summarize the passage in single sentence. You will have 10 minutes to finish the task. There will be 2-3 such tasks. The purpose of the task is to test the quality of your writing and your ability to summarize important information briefly.
Tips and Techniques
a. Take notes: Read the passage carefully. Make note of the key words/phrases and the points you consider important.
b. After you finish reading, go through your points. Select the points which you think are essential.
- A single sentence should not be longer than 2-3 lines. Thus, you must select only those points which are absolutely essential for your reader to know the topic/argument of the passage – there will ideally be only 1-3 such points.
- If there are several points about a similar theme, try to combine them into a single point.
c. Write a rough draft of your sentence, before you submit your final answer.
d. Your sentence should be written in a structured way. You can use the following structure:
- Begin with the main topic, in the form of a single word/phrase – e.g. “Sustainable development...”
- Connect your selected points to the topic. They must be connected in a way that indicates what aspect of the topic the passage is focusing on.
- e.g. “Sustainable development is necessary because (your points)” OR “Sustainable development is being hindered by (your points)”
e. The two essential skills you require for this task are:
- Vocabulary – in order to understand the topic and how the passage is talking about the topic.
- Grammar – especially tenses and punctuation, in order to write a good quality sentence e.g. commas should be used to separate points, and the sentence must end with a full stop.
- Refer to the general tips and techniques to help you work on your vocabulary and grammar skills.
For more tips like this, and help to put them into practice, Hurray Academy is here to help – get in touch with us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on: 8971357938.